Sunday, 8 May 2022

Questionnaire on Music Videos response

Questionnaire on Music Videos response


In order to create my music video, I needed some information on what consumers like in a music video so my music video could be different and unique while being enjoyable at the same time. In order to attain this information, I created a questionnaire using the service 'Survey Monkey', created 10 questions and shared it on social media for people to answer.




For the first question, I wanted to see if there were themes in music videos people like and don't like. The videos that people said they didn't like seemed to have a theme of 'influencer' style music videos that don't portray a very authentic message behind them. Then for the videos that people liked, it seemed to be music videos that reflected the artist well and were true to their image whether that was by the style and aesthetics or the narrative. I ended up applying this to my music video, when I did research into Sufjan Stevens (the artist of the song I chose) I found out the album the song is from is about his mother's death and him coming to terms with it despite their fragmented relationship. I also noticed that a lot of his songs revolve around death and the general theme is very melancholy so I wanted to depersonalise the theme of the song I used to be more generalised around death and how systematic and depressing life is as a whole because it felt like it was being true to the artist as my research from this question was well received by audiences while also feeling like I added some originality to it.



This question was just to see what gender had more of an interest in music videos as more females chose to take the survey over males. This told me that females were more interactive in general not just when it comes to answering surveys meaning that they would be more likely to be able to understand a less obvious and more subtle message in a music video and I ended up doing this as a result.



The aim of this question was to find out what setting people like a music video to predominantly take place in. The favourite was clearly a real location and I utilised this in my music videos as all of my shots were shot in real authentic locations to keep it feeling authentic and realistic.

This question was to find out what style was most popular with audiences which ended up being narrative even though all three styles were relatively popular amongst people taking the survey. I incorporated the responses into my music video by making it very narrative driven as it was telling a story that everyone can relate to in our modern society about life withering away due to how systematic life has become in recent years while doing it in a very fast-paced and conceptual way opposed to a story being acted out on screen like we usually see in the narrative genre.



This question was to find out how people respond to music videos or rather how they like to respond to music videos. This results from this question required me to think quite a bit about my music video as the song '4th July' that I used and at the time I very much wanted to use for my music video has a very sad tone and theme to it and makes you feel sad in response but the results from this question that most people prefer to feel the opposite to that but upon noticing quite a few people chose other reminded me that everyone responds differently to things so I decided to stick with my initial theme while making it more bittersweet with quite sentimental and hopeful parts to the music video to allow more room for individual interpretations. 



This question was to find out how important my lyrics would be to my music video and very clearly were. It also supported my other research on Andrew Goodwin as he believes it is very important that the visuals match up with the lyrics when it comes to music videos and this survey proved this to be quite true. I used this information to create a shot list during the pre-production and planning process of my music video as I went through the lyrics and for each line aI wrote down a shot that would convey it.
This question was to find out how important the artist's image would be in the final product. A few people seemed unsure but I feel they misunderstood the question thinking that for their image to be portrayed, they must be in the music video when it just means the artist's style and themes that give them originality and individuality and my responses to question 1 supported this as the music videos they prefered were very on theme for the artist's image. I then used this information to make the theme of my artist, Sufjan Stevens which is sad and melancholy present throughout the entirety of my music video and I think the fact he wasn't in it added to this as he doesn't have any music videos so clearly he doesn't want his music focused on his physical image.


The aim of this question was to find out whether people feel relatability in a music video is important in any/all aspects and clearly, the results show that they are. I then utilised this information by making the core theme and message behind my music video a very universal and therefore relatable theme.




The aim of this question was to find out what age people watching music videos are and the results showed that it's predominantly the teenager/young adult age range. This works well with my music video as it highlights the sad reality of the world that this target audience is growing up in, and to make clear it's for this audience, the only person to appear in the video is someone of that age demographic.


The aim of this question was to find out how good the rewatchability of music videos has to be based on how often people watch them. As the results show a lot of people barely ever watch music videos while some people watch one around once a week which tells us that people clearly don't find music videos very rewatchable which is one of the reasons why I made my music video very fast paced with subtle differences so audiences can find something new each time they watch it or take a different reading while still being easy and enjoyable to watch for passive viewers and not just active ones.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lighting Techniques

 Lighting Techniques Low-key lighting Key light big dominant light full light opposite the key light backlights illuminate the on-screen sub...